Teach for Christ was inspired by the late Kathleen "Kay" Mellon, a great Catholic school principal and teacher who devoted her life to bringing Christ to every child through Education. Kay continued her service well into her 80s while she was still teaching young Latino children to read and write English in her home. Kay passionately believed in the power of one-on-one and small group instruction, our own specialty.
Kay's life and work inspires ours. We ask young men and women to bring Christ to every child by serving Christ themselves. Today Teach for Christ Educators serve in a growing number of schools in the Archdiocese of St. Paul and Minneapolis. This is just the beginning of what we aim to do in making Kay's motto a reality.
"The only point is to find Christ in every student."
Teach for Christ's vision is for the nation’s Catholic schools to be even more effective than they are today in building up Christian community and the Kingdom of God by:
• Serving vastly more students
• Being clearly superior in intellectual, spiritual, and character formation.
• Reflecting Christ's love to students, faculty, staff, parents, and the entire community.
Teach for Christ recruits, trains, and places young Catholic leaders in Catholic schools where they serve apostolically as teachers and tutors, coaches and mentors so as to:
• Support career Catholic school teachers, boost morale, and fight teacher burnout
• Raise student achievement
• Energize Catholic communities
• Be formed as the Catholic leaders of the future
• Reflect the love of Christ